Facing the Climate Challenge with Joy
CEPAD (Consejo de Iglesias Evangelicas Pro-Alianza Denominacional – Council of Protestant Churches) works with urban and rural communities to improve their lives and livelihoods. It has a well-tested process that works. Staff commit to working with the communities for five years, leaving them with shared resources and skills to make change happen in the future. This year staff began working with 42 new communities.
Under CEPAD’s guidance, the communities:
- devise a village plan
- elect a Local Development Committee to lead the plan
- select agricultural promoters to pass on skills and provide support to local farmers so they can better manage the scarce water supply and improve crop production
- access plants, seeds, irrigation and tools to supplement what is available
- make disaster preparedness plans in case of hurricanes or earthquakes
- work with women to establish home gardens and sometimes give them chickens or a pig to raise
- improve the diet and health of families, including mental well-being
- Stopping violence in families and the community
- Support women with start-up loans for small businesses eg to sell local crafts.
- Organise activities and provide psychosocial support to young people – CEPAD arranges professional support when necessary.
Let Hope Flow this Christmas. Support the Christmas Appeal.
Thanks to CEPAD for the story and images.
Download in Word including images. View the PDF.
Back to Our Featured Partners.