Christian World Service is appealing for donations to help people affected by a devastating storm in the northeast of Libya.
People need food, water, shelter, blankets and medical care now. Buildings, bridges and road have been washed away. Many areas are without safe water or electricity.
Last week (22/23) local partner Danchurchaid, a member of ACT Alliance (Action by Churches Together), delivered the first supplies to Derna. The shipment included sanitation items for a school-based shelter, medical equipment for a hospital medical centre, and search and rescue items like shovels and head torches. Further shipments are planned.
“It was an important moment when the items arrived. They are much needed and this is the first shipment of its kind to arrive in Derna so far. The tools are so important for the search teams and the washing items, for those who lost their homes and belongings. It is making a big difference…but we will do more and keep going. It’s just the beginning,” says Zain, Team Leader for DCA Derna.
Storm Daniel swept through the region on September 10, causing widespread flooding and the collapse of two aging dams above the eastern city of Derna. The reported death toll is close to 4,000 with at least 10,000 people missing and over 43,000 displaced.
Danchurch aid has worked with the Red Crescent since 2011.
Donations to the Libya Flood Appeal will help local ACT Alliance partner, Danchurchaid:
- provide food, water and blankets initially at emergency shelters
- distribute sanitation and hygiene kits
- deliver medical supplies and assistance as well as psychosocial support
- support Search and Rescue teams with personnel, equipment and transport
- prepare to assist with demining and the clearance of unexploded ordnances dislodged by the floods as well as education on their danger.
In the longer term, it is planning to distribute cash transfers to families and assist them with shelter ahead of the winter. It expects to assist with the removal of rubble.
Donations can be made:
- Online and by direct deposit to the Libya Flood Appeal
- By Phone with a credit card: 0800 74 73 72
- By Post to: CWS, PO Box 22652, Christchurch 8140
CWS is a member of ACT Alliance a global coalition of more than 140 churches and church-related organisations working together on humanitarian, development and advocacy in over 120 countries. Thanks to ACT Alliance/Danchurchaid for the images.
September 28, 2023