CWS has worked with partners in Sudan and South Sudan for many years, supporting humanitarian work in the south of Sudan (before independence) and Darfur. Funding is now focused on assisting one area and in supporting advocacy work for peace and development.
Mission for Sustainable Advancement (formerly Maridi Service Agency) based in Western Equatoria has the energy of youth and the focus needed to build a new country.
- Set up and runs 2 preschools and the Maridi High School, with a special focus on promoting education for girls.
- Scholarship programme for girls and some boys – primarily secondary school – and runs student groups on sex education and HIV and AIDS prevention
- Civic and vocational education
- Training programmes for Displaced mothers to set up small businesses and gardens
- Emergency assistance to displaced families as a result of conflicts.
- Manages the only local radio station – Maridi FM
- Income generation
- HIV and AIDS awareness and child protection
- Opportunities for youth, especially former child soldiers, to get a formal education and employment options
- Providing local people with the skills they need to rebuild their country